Sturry is a village on the Great Stour river three miles northeast of Canterbury in Kent. Its large civil parish incorporates several hamlets and, until April 2019, the former 'mining village' of Hersden
Sturry lies at the old Roman junction of the road from the city to Thanet and Reculver, at the point where a fort was built to protect the crossing of the river. Sturry railway station was opened in 1848 and the line was electrified in 1962, by the South Eastern Railway; it is on the line between Canterbury West and Ramsgate. The station was until the 1860s the stagecoach point for Herne and Herne Bay. The parish boundaries are the same now as they were in 1086 as recorded in the Domesday Book.